What could be difficult about eating? You choose some food, shove it in - end of story.
Unfortunately it's not that easy.
We are currently in the midst of an obesity epidemic, caused entirely by our eating habits.
There are three major contributors:
- Most of us have no financial constraints on how much we consume, so our eating is determined entirely by what we choose.
- We have almost unconstrained choice of options, with no regard to locality or season.
- Processed food allows us to pack in unprecedented amounts of calories at a time.
We therefore have to actively make healthy choices if we are to maintain a healthy weight and keep our systems functioning at optimum efficiency.
This requires us to have information on a number of critical areas, such as:
- Good shopping habits
- Healthy restaurant choices
- Healthy recipes
- Healthy snacks
- How to cook healthy meals
Schools are now, belatedly, catching on to the need to teach children these things, but if these are alien to you, read the following articles to find out how acquiring these good habits can help you control your weight and your health.