In all forms of exercise, back injury prevention is vital. Once you have damaged this area, it become much more vulnerable to future upset.
It can alter your entire quality of life and possibly your livelihood, especially if it returns or becomes chronic. Back injury prevention is easy if you practice safe and effective exercise techniques.
While no one is immune to back injury, prevention is the key to a pain free workout. This is a large muscle group that we use everyday and we need it to be healthy and safe. Sometimes just everyday wear and tear can contribute to discomfort.
Problems often occur during sports or recreational activities, work-related tasks, or home projects. Here are a few tips to help with back injury prevention:
- Stop yourself before casually lifting a light or heavy load and consider the best way to lift it.
- Always lift and move slowly.
- Use a wide base of support.
- Squat down to the ground using the hips and knees never bend from the waist.
- Always warm up before exercising and stretch area when you are done.
- When exercising, use a bench with a back rest for extra support.
- If you are standing, relax your shoulders and tighten your abdominals for stability.
- Include specific exercise in your program to strengthen the area.
- Maintaining your ideal body weight reduces stress on this muscle group
- Practicing yoga and pilates helps to keep the area mobile and strong